The SAGE Sourcebook of Service-Learning and Civic Engagement
- Omobolade Delano-Oriaran - St. Norbert College
- Marguerite W. Penick-Parks - University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh
- Suzanne Fondrie - University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh
Education | Youth / Community Work (General)
Service-Learning and Civic Engagement: A Sourcebook focuses on historical, philosophical, social foundations, practices and models of service-learning and civic engagement. The title offers practical, jargon-free chapters applicable to any educational institution as well as community organizations that might consult the work.
58 signed chapters are organized into thematic parts, such as:
· Concepts and Theoretical Approaches
· Historical and Social Foundations
· The Role of Service-Learning in Higher Education
· The Role of the Community
· Lessons Learned and Future Directions and more
Each thematic part provides a practical sampling of syllabi, lesson plans, activities and resources, and online websites and databases supporting service-learning. With this new sourcebook, we hope to provide a set of structured background, resources, and examples to guide readers into a relevant intellectual and culturally based understanding of the field while offering the needed tools to create and actively engage in quality programs.