Many of SAGE’s textbooks are available free to instructors for inspection. You can find out how to request an inspection copy and read our inspection copy policy below. You can also create an account and register your areas of interests so we can keep you up-to-date with the titles most relevant to you.
Books available for inspection are flagged with 'Inspection copy available' or you will see the following inspection copy button on the right-hand side of the book product page:
Many of our books are also available as electronic inspection copies, meaning you can get immediate access to the book online. Simply click on the link at the start of the book description, where you see the following instruction:
'Lecturers, request your electronic inspection copy here.'
How to Request an Inspection Copy
1. Find the book for your course
Search using the search bar at the top-right of the website or you can view our latest titles and select the title(s) you wish to inspect. You are able to inspect up to 3.
2. Click on the Inspection Copy button found on the right-hand side of the books product page
Click on the button to add the book to your inspection copy basket. Only books available for inspection have this button.
3. Log in or set up your account
Enter existing details or set up a SAGE account to receive inspection copies.
4. Tell us about your courses
Please tell us about the institution you teach at and the courses you are considering the inspection copy for. We also need a delivery address to send the book to you.
5. Complete your request
Check your details and delivery address are correct then confirm your request.
Customers based in Austria, France, Germany, Italy and Switzerland - please note that your request will be passed onto SAGE's local representatives Mare Nostrum for processing. They will then send you an email with details of what to do next and how to register with them.
Customers in Australasia please note that your request will be passed onto SAGE's local distributor, Footprint Books, who will process your request on SAGE's behalf.
6. Submit your feedback and publish your review
Once you have received and reviewed your inspection copy please submit your feedback online and add your comments to our online peer review system.
SAGE is the first academic publisher to share independent customer reviews and feedback online, and we feel that encouraging two way communication with customers and colleagues in the academic world is integral to producing quality content. You can publish comments online for inspection copies you have requested via your SAGE online account.
Inspection Copy Policy
Paperback textbooks marked with the inspection copy button are available free to course lecturers based at higher and further education institutions for adoption review.
- You may select up to 3 titles to consider for course adoption at any one time up to a maximum of 15 titles in a calendar year.
- Inspection copies are available for courses with 10 or more students
- Your opinion is valuable in ensuring we provide you with the right publications for your course and we ask that you submit feedback for each inspection copy you review at Inspection Copy Feedback within 30 days of receipt. You may keep the book(s) with our compliments whether you decide to adopt a text or not, but we request that you submit your feedback online so that we can ensure you continue to receive SAGE inspection copies as efficiently as possible. The information you provide us will help ensure that your local bookshop is stocked with enough copies of adopted titles at the right time of year, ensuring the smooth running of your course. Your feedback is important in helping us maintain high standards for our textbook publishing programme and for publishing the most appropriate book for courses, lecturers and students at a reasonable price. We may email you a reminder to submit your feedback to tell us how you will use the book on your course.
- Customers outside of the UK and Europe should allow at least 21 days for delivery
- SAGE Publications Ltd is committed to protecting your privacy and any information you give us is used only by SAGE Publications. When registering you will be given the opportunity to decide if you would like to be contacted by us. SAGE Publications does not trade or share personal data with companies outside the SAGE Publications group. For full details of our privacy and data protection policy see below.
- Inspection copies can be ordered via the SAGE website by clicking on the Inspection Copy button next to flagged books. Use the search box to find your book or browse the textbook homepage.
- Inspection copies are sent at the discretion of the publisher. If we cannot verify a teaching status, recognize an institution, or determine whether a course is taught in English, then we may not be able to fulfil an inspection copy request. Supplying academic or professional email addresses, where possible, rather than private hotmail or gmail addresses will speed up the approval process.
- Inspection copies are for the sole use of the requesting course lecturer (or co-lecturers on the same course) or course leader and are transferable only with the prior permission in writing of the publisher.
- Councils, local authorities, practitioners and private training companies wishing to request sample copies for the consideration of bulk copy orders should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SAGE reserves the right to withdraw or restrict this service at any time.
- Only paperback copies will usually be supplied, and we reserve the right to supply an electronic inspection copy in place of a paper copy.
If you have any questions about the inspection copy policy please email us at email@example.com.