- an overview of Freud's work which enables the reader to see quickly where, and in which texts, Freud develops his main ideas
- a guide to reading Freud, and to what can be done with the complexities of his texts
- an examination of what recent cultural theory draws from Freud, and of why psychoanalysis is of interest for it
- a discussion about the Freud revealed by recent cultural theory
- an extensive selection of extracts from Freud's texts, with commentary.
This book is the definitive guide to the content of Freud's texts: what's there and where to find it. It will have wide appeal to students new to Freud in cultural studies, literary theory, philosophy and sociology.