"This text does a sterling job at identifying, outlining and defining the many elements that go to make up this booming sector of industry. What makes it particularly interesting is that it includes the view of the creative industries from the perspective of working in it, then the definitions of what products and producers are involved, and ends with the broader picture of the creative economy and predictions for future trends. Add to this that they include both theory and practice, and this really is an all-round guide to the vast domain that is loosely titled 'the creative industries'"
- Angela Birchall, School of Media, Music & Performance, Salford University
This is your complete guide to studying and succeeding in the creative industries. This book takes you through the history, trends, products and markets of the creative industries, showing how success depends on a mix of ideas, tactics and talent.
When understanding social networks and cultural economy is just as important as hands-on skills or an entrepreneurial spirit, Introducing the Creative Industries shows you how to use theories, concepts and practical skills to get ahead in their course and professional life. Creatively imagined and beautifully written, this book:
- Interweaves theoretical concepts and professional practice on every page
- Uses cultural economy to teach the essential concepts and thinkers
- Integrates case studies from fashion and gaming to journalism and music
- Teaches strategies for navigating the links between skills, industries, creativity and markets.
This book shows you how to spot opportunities and use your knowledge and savvy to take kickstart your career in this fast-moving industry. It is an essential guidebook for students of creativity in media and communication, design, creative industries and business.