"Sometimes provocative, always insightful and refreshingly direct. No-one could study the culture industries without engaging with its vision and argumentation"
- Sonia Livingstone, LSE
"Comprehensive and critical, authoritative and analytical, this is a wonderful book that will absorb, stimulate and educate students of media and cultural studies for years to come"
- Des Freedman, Goldsmiths, University of London
"An exceptional achievement - for its scale, for its comprehensiveness, and for the level-headed intelligence that is the hallmark of Hesmondhalgh's writing"
- Graeme Turner, University of Queensland
An undisputed classic, the Fourth Edition of this bestselling media studies text offers an unparalleled analysis of the cultural industries.
Bringing together a huge range of research, theory and key concepts, David Hesmondhalgh provides an accessible yet critical exploration of cultural production and consumption in the global media landscape. This new edition:
- Analyses the influence of IT and tech companies like Google, Apple, Amazon and Facebook on the cultural industries.
- Discusses the impact of digital technologies on industries such as music, TV, newspapers, books and digital games.
- Explores the effects of digitalisation on culture, discussing critical issues like participation, power, commercialism, surveillance, and labour.
- Examines the changing conceptions of audiences, and the increasing influence of market research, audience tracking and advertising.
As one of the most read, most studied and most cited books in the field, this Fourth Edition is an essential resource for students and researchers of media and communication studies, the cultural and creative industries, cultural studies and the sociology of the media.