Find the Theory in Your Research
Little Quick Fix
- Janet E. Salmons - Free-range Scholar, Vision2Lead and Research Community Manager at SAGE MethodSpace
Little Quick Fix
Philosophy of Research | Research Design
One of the most crucial foundational steps in any research project surrounds understanding and choosing an appropriate theory to frame the research question. Theoretical frameworks don’t just impact design, they impact how the entire study is interpreted, contextualized, and discussed. There are lots of resources about epistemologies and ontologies, but most focus on the philosophical and historical dimensions that can quickly overwhelm students. They need something quick that helps them understand the practical connection between theory and the purpose/nature of the study and, more importantly, decide which theory is best suited to their particular study. This Little Quick Fix covers questions like: What is theory? How does theory relate to research design? What is a theoretical framework? What is a theoretical contribution? How do I choose which theory (or theories) fits my research? What practical steps should I take to integrate theory into my research?
Little Quick Fix titles provide quick but authoritative answers to the problems, hurdles, and assessment points students face in
the research course, project proposal, or design—whatever their methods learning is.
- Lively, ultra-modern design; full-colour, each page a tailored design.
- An hour's read. Easy to dip in and out of with clear navigation enables the reader to find what she needs—quick.
- Direct written style gets to the point with clear language. Nothing needs to be read twice. No fluff.
- Learning is reinforced through a 2-minute overview summary; 3-second summaries with super-quick Q&A
- DIY tasks create a work plan to accomplish a task, do a self-check quiz, solve a problem, get students to what they need to show their supervisor.
- Checkpoints in each section make sure students are nailing it as they go and support self-directed learning.
- How do I know I’m done? Each Little Quick Fix wraps up with a final checklist that allows the reader to self-assess they’ve got what they need to progress, submit, or ace the test or task.
A brief but focused look at a key aspect of any research.
This book is one of this series which are excellent introductions that all students no matter what their prior experience and knowledge will be able to engage, explore and learn from to support their research as education students, highly recommended.
This is a fantastic little book for students
Nice little guide that focuses on specific issues and are explained in an appealing way for undergraduate students struggling with academic writing and research methods.
It is easy to understand for students studying the foundation of research
All titles in this set are excellent and introduced to all students during their intial induction study day
An excellent and digestible small book that will help students to understand the importance and meaning of situating 'theory' in their research.
I was really excited about a quick, little book that my students could use as a quick start in the subject. However, to be honest, I think it is totally useless and provides no additional value. if you switch a little bit back and forth on wikipedia, you get more insights and help. That is not what I expected...
Sample Materials & Chapters
Intro & Qu 1: What do researchers mean when they talk about epistemology, ontolo