These guidelines should be followed by authors of Contributions published in a SAGE subscription journal, including authors whose Contributions were published under a previous version of the author guidelines. For a list of exceptions to these guidelines, please see below.
Three versions of the Contribution are referenced in these guidelines:
- Original Submission: the version submitted by the author before peer review
- Accepted Manuscript: version updated to include the author’s revisions after peer review, prior to any typesetting for the journal. This is often the version accepted by the editor
- Final Published PDF: copy-edited and typeset Publisher’s PDF, the same version published on the journal’s website
Green Open Access: SAGE’s Archiving and Sharing Policy
You may share the Original Submission or Accepted Manuscript at any time and in any format. Your sharing of the Original Submission or Accepted Manuscript may include posting a downloadable copy on any website, saving a copy in any repository or network, sharing a copy through any social media channel, and distributing print or electronic copies.
For information on use of Institutional Repository (IR) copies by authors and IR users, see Posting to an Institutional Repository - Green Open Access.
You may use the Final Published PDF (or Original Submission or Accepted Manuscript, if preferred) in the following ways:
- in relation to your own teaching, provided that any electronic distribution maintains restricted access
- to share on an individual basis with research colleagues, provided that such sharing is not for commercial purposes
- in your dissertation or thesis, including where the dissertation or thesis will be posted in any electronic Institutional Repository or database
- in a book authored or edited by you, at any time after the Contribution’s publication in the journal.
- Access to the Original Submission and Accepted Manuscript is provided at no charge.
- Any re-use terms for users of websites and repositories (where your Original Submission or Accepted Manuscript are posted) are restricted to non-commercial and no derivative uses.
- You may not post the Final Published PDF on any unrestricted website or repository without permission from SAGE.
- You may not republish or translate any version of your Contribution in another journal without prior permission from SAGE.
- The journal as the original publication of your Contribution is appropriately credited by including the full citation information each time your Contribution, or excerpts, are further distributed or re-used:
- After your Contribution has been accepted for publication and until it is assigned a DOI, please include a statement that your Contribution has been accepted for publication in the journal.
- Once full citation information for your Contribution is available, please include this with your posted Contribution, in a format similar to the following:
Author(s), Contribution Title, Journal Title (Journal Volume Number and Issue Number) pp. xx-xx. Copyright © [year] (Copyright Holder). DOI: [DOI number].
Exceptions to this Author Re-Use policy: The following journals have a different author re-use policy in place. The re-use terms for these journals are stated in the Contributor Agreement used by the Journal.
If you have questions regarding the following titles, contact the US permissions team at email@example.com.
- California Management Review
- Journal of Dental Research
- JDR Clinical & Translational Research
- Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery
If you have questions regarding the following titles, contact the UK permissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Acta Radiologica (from January 2018)
- Index on Censorship
- Pain News
- Political Insight
- Recherche et Applications en Marketing
Authors of Contributions published as SAGE Choice or in a Gold Open Access journal should reference Reusing Open Access and SAGE Choice Content. For a list of SAGE's Gold Open Access journals, please see Gold Open Access journals.
Authors of Contributions published under a Creative Commons license may re-use their work under the terms of the Creative Commons license attached to their Contributions and additionally have all rights to re-use their work stated above.
For information about requesting permission for content published in SAGE journals, see Process for Requesting Permission.
For information about author copies, see Author e-prints policy.
If you are submitting a manuscript to a SAGE journal and wish to include previously published materials within the manuscript, visit our Author Gateway Copyright and Permissions FAQs.
Last updated: 8 October 2019