- Professor Daya K. Thussu, University of Westminster
The media play a diverse and significant role in the practical expression of racism and in the everyday politics of ethnicity. Written by two veterans of research on media and 'race', this book offers a fresh comparative analyses of the issues and sets out the key agendas for future study. Representing Race - Racisms, Ethnicities and Media:
- Provides a conceptual framework for understanding the role of the media.
- Addresses a number of pressing political concerns including 'racial' justice and the drift to the Right.
- Includes a wide range of examples from Britain, the USA, Europe, and Australia.
- Analyzes the growth of indigenous people's media.
- Assesses current strategies for reforming professional media practice in this sphere.
Drawing on years of research, this book provides both a major intervention in the debate, as well as a comprehensive introduction to the area. It will be required reading for anyone interested in race, representation and the media.