This accessible and practical guide de-mystifies the Mental Health Tribunal for health and social care professionals. Written by a mental health lawyer and a MHT Panel member, it offers essential explanations of all stages of the MHT proceedings, from initial application to the final decision. The book also provides answers to frequently asked questions and provides top tips to help guide through the whole process.
1) History and legal context
2) Why do Tribunal Hearings Happen? Applications and References
3) Tribunal Powers and Duties
4) Who is on the Tribunal Panel and what are their roles?
5) Who is expected to attend to give oral evidence?
6) How is the law applied at Tribunal proceedings?
7) Preparing written evidence
8) What happens before the hearing?
9) What happens at the hearing?
10) Giving evidence and dealing with cross-examination
11) The welfare of the patient
12) Decisions and appeals
Case law summaries