Research Design - International Student Edition
Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches
- John W. Creswell - Department of Family Medicine, University of Michigan
- J. David Creswell - Carnegie Mellon University, USA
Mixed Methods | Qualitative Methods | Research Design
This best-selling text pioneered the comparison of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods research design. For all three approaches, John W. Creswell and new co-author J. David Creswell include a preliminary consideration of philosophical assumptions, key elements of the research process, a review of the literature, an assessment of the use of theory in research applications, and reflections about the importance of writing and ethics in scholarly inquiry.
New to this Edition:
- Updated discussion on designing a proposal for a research project and on the steps in designing a research study
- Additional content on epistemological and ontological positioning in relation to the research question and chosen methodology and method
- Additional updates on the transformative worldview
- Expanded coverage on specific approaches such as case studies, participatory action research, and visual methods
- Additional information about qualitative and quantitative data analysis, social media, online qualitative methods, and mentoring and reflexivity in qualitative methods
- Incorporation of action research and program evaluation in mixed methods and coverage of the latest advances in the mixed methods field
- Additional information about causality and its relationship to statistics in quantitative methods
- Incorporation of writing discussion sections into each of the three methodologies
SAGE edge for Instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students.
- Premium video content curated from the SAGE Research Methods platform, including videos by John W. Creswell, accompanied by assessment questions.
- A diverse range of pre-written, editable test questions to help assess students’ progress and understanding.
- Sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for structuring your courses.
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts, plus accompanying exercises and application questions.
- Lecture notes highlight key concepts by chapter to help you prepare for lectures and class discussions.
- Chapter-specific writing exercises emphasize critical thinking and application of key concepts.
- Discussion questions launch classroom interaction and encourage students to engage further with the material.
- All figures and tables from the book available for download and use in your course.
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
- Premium video content curated from the SAGE Research Methods platform, including videos by John W. Creswell.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter, plus accompanying exercises and application questions.
- Sample research proposals and templates offer further guidance on research design.
Clear guide to research design and research tools
We have recently introduced the book in one of our international courses in education: Research Design and Methodology in Educational Sciences. Our staff and students like the book and think it is excellent as an introduction to the field of methodology. It is pleasant to read and covers quantitative-, qualitative- and mixed-methods. I can recommend it to colleagues at other colleges or universities.
A lively, readable and above all indubitably well informed account of the knowledge and skills required to develop a logical research design in activation of an achievable and worthwhile piece of empirical research. If research design didn't exist, I would trust John and David Creswell to invent it!
Very good well designed and relevant contents.