Race, Ethnicity & Society
- Tina Patel - University of Salford, UK
New Approaches to Sociology
Sociology (General) | Sociology of Race & Ethnicity
Part of the New Approaches to Sociology series, Race, Ethnicity & Society, expands on Tina Patel's acclaimed book Race and Society. Offering a thoughtful and critically engaging exploration of some of the key issues around race and ethnicity in contemporary society, this book provides a nuanced and impactful perspective for students studying sociology.
With a progressive approach that emphasises the social construction of race issues within a post-racial era, moving away from essentialist and polarized explanations of raced interaction, this book:
- Introduces the main concepts and key theories, including their post-developments
- Includes dedicated chapters on theorizing race and historical context
- Focuses on the processes and impact of racial categorisation in contemporary society
- Covers contemporary discussions related to #BlackLivesMatter and the Covid 19 pandemic
Race, Ethnicity & Society is packed with topical examples and international case studies to engage students, along with chapter summaries, study questions and further reading. It's a highly readable and thought-provoking guide to the study of race, ethnicity and society for students of sociology, criminology and related disciplines.
Dr Tina G. Patel is a Senior Lecturer in Criminology at the University of Salford