Qualitative Social Research
Contemporary Methods for the Digital Age
- Vivienne Waller - Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- Karen Farquharson - Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- Deborah Dempsey - Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
Qualitative Research (General) | Social Research Methods | Sociological Research Methods
Qualitative Social Research employs an accessible approach to present the multiple ways in which criticism enhances research practice. Packed full of relevant, 'real world' examples, it showcases the strengths and pitfalls of each research method, integrating the philosophical groundings of qualitative research with thoughtful overviews of a range of commonly used methods.
This book is ideal for students and prospective researchers and explains what makes qualitative sociological research practical, useful and ethical. It’s an essential guide to how to undertake research, use an appropriate research design and work with a range of qualitative data collection methods, and includes:
- detailed discussions of ethical issues
- references to new technologies in each chapter
- explanations of how to integrate online and visual methods with traditional data collection methods
- exercises to enhance learning
The authors use their many years’ experience in using a range of qualitative methods to conduct and teach research to demonstrate the value of critical thinking skills at all stages of the research process.
Qualitative Social Research provides a comprehensive and practical overview of qualitative research methodologies and I have no hesitation in recommending it as essential reading for students
Sample Materials & Chapters
Qualitative Social Research: The aims of qualitative research