Creating Strategic & Agile Organizations
- Donald L. Anderson - University of Denver, USA
Organization Design and Development
Structured around Jay Galbraith’s famed “Star Model”, the book explores the five interrelated elements of organization design: strategy, structure, processes, rewards, and people, and uses these factors to advise students on how to be effective when designing and redesigning organizations.
Anderson blends classic and contemporary theories with cutting-edge research and new literature reviews to provide students with a well-rounded perspective on organization design. He also prepares students for the modern workplace by promoting the importance of strategy and agility in organization design, this is covered in the chapter on Reorganizing, Managing Change, and Transitions, which explores the challenges of changing an existing design and best practices for managing change.
Each chapter features a ‘Global Considerations’ section that highlights international issues in organization design, and all other content is supported by real-world case studies and exercises, providing students with practical opportunities to develop their skills.
There is a stand-alone “Organization design simulation activity” at the back of the book which puts students in the role of a design practitioner, this can be reused throughout a course and adapted to include the specific concepts and ideas that a student has covered.
The book is supported by online resources for instructors, including Test banks, PowerPoint slides, Multimedia content, free SAGE journal content, case notes, and discussion questions for the classroom
Suitable reading for students of organizational theory, and organization design & development.
Password-protected Instructor Resources include the following:
- Test banks provide a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity to edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding.
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- Multimedia content includes videos and web resources.
- EXCLUSIVE, influential SAGE journal content ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning.
- Case Notes are designed for instructors to expand questions to students or initiate class discussion.
- Discussion questions offer suggestions for sparking class debate and dialogue.
I have used the STAR model for a long time and this textbook handles it well. I also appreciated the section on agility, and innovation.
The text is very good for academic practices. Highly updated.
Great introductory resource and the create your own organization appendices were so helpful for class.