- Richard West - Emerson College, USA
- Lynn H. Turner - Marquette University, USA
Now published by SAGE!
Interpersonal Communication, Fourth Edition empowers students to become more confident communicators by providing them with both the knowledge and the practical skills they need to make effective communication choices in today's rapidly changing and technologically advanced society. Rather than "telling" students how to communicate, authors Richard L. West and Lynn H. Turner offer a toolbox of key skills so students can actively choose and experiment with strategies appropriate for a given situation. Filled with realistic examples and scenarios that reflect the diversity and interactions of today's students, this practical text makes clear connections among theory, skills, and the life situations we all encounter on a daily basis.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
SAGE Premium Video
Included in the interactive eBook! SAGE Premium Video tools and resources boost comprehension and bolster analysis.
Includes access to SAGE Premium Video, multimedia tools, and much more! Save when you bundle the interactive eBook with the new edition. Order using bundle ISBN: 9781544365657. Learn more.
FREE! Easily import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more.
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier. See how your students benefit.
Instructors: SAGE coursepacks and SAGE edge online resources are included FREE with this text. For a brief demo, contact your sales representativetoday.
SAGE coursepacks for instructors makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
With SAGE coursepacks, you get:
- quality textbook content delivered directly into your LMS;
- a simple intiutive format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort;
- assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, including:
o diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
o test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
o activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
o instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided;
- assignable SAGE Premium Video (available via the interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE coursepacks) that is tied to learning objectives, and curated and produced exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life, featuring:
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
o A comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), and offering a helpful description of the video content as well as assessment questions
- TV and movie clips from pop culture that illustrate different concepts from interpersonal communication
- Animation of key concepts that give context to the scenes in the TV and movie clips;
- chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content;
- exclusive SAGE journal and reference content, built into course materials and assessment tools, that ties influential research and scholarship to chapter concepts;
- editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch;
- sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course to your exact needs;
- lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions;
- integrated links to the interactive eBook that make it easy for students to maximize their study time with this “anywhere, anytime” mobile-friendly version of the text. It also offers access to more digital tools and resources, including SAGE Premium Video; and
- select tables and figures from the textbook
SAGE edge for students enhances learning, is easy to use, and offers:
- an open-access site that makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime;
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts;
- eQuizzes that allow students to practice and assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention;
- learning objectives that reinforce the most important material;
- exclusive access to influential SAGE journal articles that tie important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning; and
- video and multimedia links that facilitate student use of Internet resources, further exploration of topics, and responses to critical thinking questions.
“This textbook hits the ball out of the park! The authors did a great job of giving the student/reader the tools to become a more effective interpersonal communicator.”
“Interpersonal Communication (4th edition) offers fresh examples of established theories to fully engage students. . . . The direct links to careers make this text distinct from other interpersonal communication texts.”
“. . . Not just for a college-level interpersonal communication course, but also for anyone who thinks interpersonal communication matters.”
“Practical application of theory so it is understandable to freshman through sophomore students. They will be able to read it, apply it, and use it.”
“A practical, well written text that students should be able to read and use to understand IPC concepts.”
“This mid-level interpersonal textbook pulls from extensive interpersonal research and theory to help students assess their communication experiences and futures.”
“A fresh approach using comprehensive theories of interpersonal communication. Career focus will be helpful to some of the lost speech students.”
“A book that students are likely to find interesting and readable and that uses many examples to illustrate the concepts of interpersonal communication.”
“Appropriate readability with a good attempt to demonstrate the inherent connections and inseparability between theory and skill.”
“I think this is an excellent textbook for a four-year college lower-division interpersonal course, especially if you have no other course in interpersonal communication. If interpersonal communication is a general education requirement and this is the only exposure to IPC, again, this book does a better job than the average lower division textbook does in my opinion. It incorporates lots of theory and research.”
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1. Foundations of Interpersonal Communication
Chapter 2. Communication, Culture, and Identity