Principles and Practice
- Michael J. Worth - The George Washington University, USA
Fundraising: Principles and Practice provides you with a comprehensive introduction to fundraising. Taking a balanced perspective, bestselling author Michael J. Worth offers insights on the practical application of relevant theory. The text is designed to engage you in thinking critically about issues in fundraising and philanthropy to prepare you for careers in the non-profit sector.
Worth explores donor motivations and fundraising techniques for annual giving programs, major gift programs, planned giving, and corporate and foundation giving and campaigns. Traditional methods, including direct mail and personal solicitations, are discussed as well as new tools and practices, including online fundraising, crowd-funding and social networks, analytics, and predictive modelling. Written specifically for non-profit career-oriented individuals, this book helps you become successful fundraisers.
- Blends theory and practice to provide students with comprehensive coverage of essential fundraising principles and numerous real-world applications and insights
- Emphasizes ethical and legal considerations to help readers make fundraising decisions that are both legal and ethical.
Password-protected Instructor Resources include the following:
- Microsoft® Word® exam questions are available containing multiple choice and true/false questions for each chapter. The exam questions provide you with a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity for editing any question and/or inserting your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding.
- Editable, chapter-specific Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides offer you complete flexibility in easily creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- An Instructor Guide provides teaching tips and suggestions for using the book
The open-access Student Study Site includes the following:
- Carefully selected, video links feature relevant interviews, lectures, personal stories, inquiries, and other content for use in independent or classroom-based explorations of key topics.
“This text is an excellent source of academic, theoretical and practical expertise woven into one single text. It is single-handedly a one-stop go-to book for today’s fundraising and development staff and tomorrow’s students in nonprofit management.”
“Michael Worth has made an enormous contribution to the fundraising profession with Fundraising: Principles and Practice. He brings the wisdom and perspective of decades of senior level experience as he sketches the context of fund-raising today, the centrality of the donor in all that fundraisers do, outstanding insights into capital campaigns, management, and leadership, and a systematic consideration of case studies that are analyzed drawing on his own years as a leader in the field. This is a must-read – for fundraisers who want to advance, for sure, and for managers who want to be leaders.”
“Fundraising: Principles and Practice is grounded in Michael J. Worth’s extensive experience and expertise as both a practitioner and a scholar of fundraising. His application of case studies to each topic provides a superb platform for students to develop the analytical skills they will need to function as successful nonprofit professionals. Worth’s comprehensive blend of fundraising principles and practice stands out from other books on the topic by focusing on the preparation of leaders who are able to think critically about the substantive issues in philanthropy and to move their nonprofit organizations to the next level of fundraising and organizational excellence.”
This is great reading source for the students which is easy to follow and well-structured.
I will be adopting this text for my graduate level community practice course next spring semester. It offers a good overview of fundraising in the non-profit sector. This is an area where most social workers will need to be knowledgeable, particularly those in a leadership or supervisory position.