Essential Biological Psychology
- Jim Barnes - University of Bedfordshire, UK
Behavioral Neuroscience | Biological/Physiological Psychology (General) | Neuro-psychology
Drawing on the latest exciting research, Essential Biological Psychology provides students with a solid grasp of the relationship between mind and behaviour, and a detailed understanding of the underlying structure and physiological mechanisms that underpin it. The functions of the nervous system are explained and implications for health are explored. Throughout the book, Jim Barnes encourages students to evaluate essential concepts and theoretical issues.
- key concepts highlighted throughout the text enables students to grasp the fundamental knowledge and understanding of the structures and functions of the human nervous system that are relevant to the study of psychology
- the snapshot of key studies detailed in the textboxes allow critical evaluation of the role of physiology in human behaviour against a backdrop of up to date research
- clear explanations of the key methods in the text give students an appreciation of the contributions made by the different approaches and research methods that are used in biological psychology
- memory maps and diagrams within the text encourage learning and allow students to formulate memory aids to assist recall in exam conditions
- a companion website consists of PowerPoint lecture slides and a testbank for teachers (50 questions per chapter) as well as interactive self-assessment testbank for students (10 questions per chapter)
- Multiple choice question-based test banks arranged by chapter that can be used for student assessment
- PowerPoint™ Slides arranged by chapter, which capture key points as well as figures and tables
- Interactive Multiple Choice Questions for on-going self-assessment
'A highly informative introduction into the most important concepts in biological psychology from cell level to systems level. Covering a wide range of topics including genetics and neural plasticity, this well-structured and accessible text is an excellent starting point for studying processes of the mind and brain' -
Senior Lecturer in Psychology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
'Comprehensive and accessible; this text beautifully marries historical aspects of biopsychology with contemporary advances in neuroscience via a student-centred and readily digestible format. The inclusion of a chapter focussing on the biological basis of behaviour disorders is a much needed and welcomed addition to texts in this field' -
University of Worcester
'Jim Barnes' book "Essential Biological Psychology" introduces the student to key concepts, theoretical issues and up to date research in a clear and engaging manner. This textbook is easy to follow and brilliantly written and I will be recommending it to students' -
Sandra S nram-Lea
'The author promises "short easily digestible chapters… a journey around the nervous system". The book succeeds admirably in this aim, and would make an excellent text for a course in Years 1 or 2. I particularly liked the clear descriptions of techniques in neuroscience' -
Emeritus Professor of Psychology, University of Reading
'Essential Biological Psychology provides an excellent account of the structure and function of the brain and nervous both as a story about the intrinsic nature of living creatures and as a means of understanding the essential biology of behavior. Chapters 1 to 4 provide a necessary comprehensive basis that is up-to-date yet extremely interesting reading. Veritably, the chapters on "Motor Control and Movement", "Motivation", "Sleep and Biological Rhythms", "Emotions, Stress and Health", "Memory, Learning and Amnesia" and "Biological Basis of Behaviour Disorders" all offer an important text for Biological Psychology courses at several different levels including the Ph.D. level. Throughout, the figures, illustations and artwork are impressive and pedagogical' -
Clear and beautiful book. It is especially useful for undergraduate students.
I like how clear the book presents the facts. Even though the book lacks of some visual material, I found it more understandable through the highlight and the schemas that were being used. The chapters does not go beyond what my sophomore students would need.
This text makes excellent use of case studies to contextualise theory.
Nice book with clear descriptions. Easy for students to read and understand
This is the ideal text for undergraduate students as well as Postgraduate level who needs to have a very good understanding of the biology of Psychology. It is written in such a way that even the second language student can understand the text. A must for every Psychology student.
This is a very attractively presented book with some very colourful and clear diagrams. Jim Barnes's text is straightforward and concise, so provides essential information quickly with economy.
Excellent recomended reading at the course in cognitive developmental psychology, gives an extra "spice" to the other litterature.
Determined to advanced for student level
Provides an interesting overview of the mind and behaviour, including an exploration of structures and mechanisms
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1: Neurons, Neurotransmission and Communication