1. Getting Into the Medical School and Residency You Want
First Things First: Becoming Competitive and Selecting a School
Differences Between Men and Women Medical Students
Preparing for Medical School and Residency Interviews
2. Medicine and Parenting: For Whom the Clock Ticks
Common Questions Medical Students Ask About Combining Medicine and Parenting (and Some Answers!)
3. Sexism: The Eye of the Beholder
Putting a Stop to Harassment
"Consensual" Sexual Relationships
Overcoming Gender Stereotypes
4. Beyond Survival: Maximizing Your Professional Development Options
Job Seeking, Interviewing, and Salary Negotiations
5. Mentors: Overcoming the Shortage
Finding and Using a Mentor: Avoiding the Nine Circles of Mentor Hell
6. Big Hairy Questions (BHQs): Into the Future
When I Complete My Training, Will I Be Able to Find a Job?
What Does It Take to Be a Success in Medicine?
What About Becoming a Medical School Faculty Member?
Are Men and Women Physicians Becoming More Alike or Different?
Do Women Have More Unmet Health Care Needs Than Men?
Will Women's Health Become a Separate Specialty?
Appendix A: Foremothers
Appendix B: Statistical Overview
Appendix C: Addressing Gender Inequities and Sexism
Appendix D: Learning Objectives in Women's Health
Appendix E: Definition of Women's Health
Appendix F: Organizations and Websites
About the Author