- Li Shiqiao, writing in the South China Morning Post
This book teaches us to read the contemporary Chinese city. Li Shiqiao deftly crafts a new theory of the Chinese city and the dynamics of urbanization by:
- examining how the Chinese city has been shaped by the figuration of the writing system
- analyzing the continuing importance of the family and its barriers of protection against real and imagined dangers
- exploring the meanings of labour, and the resultant numerical and financial hierarchies
- demonstrating how actual structures bring into visual being the conceptions of numerical distributions, safety networks, and aesthetic orders.