The Essentials of Nursing Leadership
- Ruth Taylor - Anglia Ruskin University, UK
- Brian Webster-Henderson - Edinburgh Napier University, UK
This new approach to leadership focuses on how students can develop leadership skills right from the start of their nursing programme through to transitioning to their first role. The book first takes students through the underpinning knowledge and theory and then through practical skills to help them understand all aspects of leadership and how it is a key component of providing quality care to patients in a range of environments and settings. Real stories from nursing leaders, practitioners and students are included to inspire students and show them how they can impact positively on practice, whatever level they are working at.
Key features include:
- Real life focus, grounded in everyday practice, with lots of case studies and examples to help students see how theory relates to practice
- Activities to help students reflect about their own practice, and about themselves as leaders
- Video interviews with nurse leaders and students on the companion website
- Further reading and links to journal articles in both the book and the companion website help students delve deeper and prepare for assessments.
'This contemporary book is a breath of fresh air and a must read for those studying nursing. The range of theories and concepts are presented in a clear and accessible manner as well as activities to support learning throughout. This is a helpful and excellent resource and great piece of work.'
‘An innovative and contemporary text on leadership in Nursing that is aimed directly at the nursing student. Written in the context of the student as a leader and using real life experiences, it guides the student in their exploration of leadership.’
'A very good book on leadership for undergraduate nursing and midwifery students. It deals with key leadership concepts such as context policy, inter-professional, public and global issues. These are particularly relevant in today’s healthcare climate. Part 2 considers different leadership approaches culminating in a novel and unique perspective on the nursing student as leader.'
Guided activities for personal development
Evaluation of leadership theory
This book gives a good fundamental understanding of the main issues of nursing leadership. It would be useful throughout pre-registration course but particular in the more senior module leading to the final management placement.