- What is a teacher?
- The good news about teaching - working with children
- Routes to qualified teacher status and how to choose the right one for you
- Help with study skills, including essay writing, organisation and record-keeping
- How to survive your teaching placements
- Developing your professionalism
- Coping with the bad news - teacher workload, bureaucracy and stress
- How to get your first job
Written in an engaging and humorous - but above all, supportive - style, the book is essential pre-course reading for prospective student teachers.