This best-selling text pioneered the comparison of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods research design. For all three approaches, John W. Creswell and new co-author J. David Creswell include a preliminary consideration of philosophical assumptions, key elements of the research process, a review of the literature, an assessment of the use of theory in research applications, and reflections about the importance of writing and ethics in scholarly inquiry.
New to this Edition:
- Updated discussion on designing a proposal for a research project and on the steps in designing a research study
- Additional content on epistemological and ontological positioning in relation to the research question and chosen methodology and method
- Additional updates on the transformative worldview
- Expanded coverage on specific approaches such as case studies, participatory action research, and visual methods
- Additional information about qualitative and quantitative data analysis, social media, online qualitative methods, and mentoring and reflexivity in qualitative methods
- Incorporation of action research and program evaluation in mixed methods and coverage of the latest advances in the mixed methods field
- Additional information about causality and its relationship to statistics in quantitative methods
- Incorporation of writing discussion sections into each of the three methodologies
SAGE edge for Instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students.
- Premium video content curated from the SAGE Research Methods platform, including videos by John W. Creswell, accompanied by assessment questions.
- A diverse range of pre-written, editable test questions to help assess students’ progress and understanding.
- Sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for structuring your courses.
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts, plus accompanying exercises and application questions.
- Lecture notes highlight key concepts by chapter to help you prepare for lectures and class discussions.
- Chapter-specific writing exercises emphasize critical thinking and application of key concepts.
- Discussion questions launch classroom interaction and encourage students to engage further with the material.
- All figures and tables from the book available for download and use in your course.
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
- Premium video content curated from the SAGE Research Methods platform, including videos by John W. Creswell.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter, plus accompanying exercises and application questions.
- Sample research proposals and templates offer further guidance on research design.