“This is a great tool that provides not only historical perspective but also incorporates additional resources to help expand the student’s ability to understand an issue and implications stemming from it.”
—Robbin Day Brooks,—Arizona State University
Written by two of the most prominent criminologists in the field, Race and Crime, Fifth Edition takes an incisive look at the intersection of race, ethnicity and the criminal justice system. Authors Shaun L. Gabbidon and Helen Taylor Greene offer students a panoramic perspective of race and crime by expertly balancing historical context with modern data and research in thought-provoking discussions of contemporary issues. Accessible and reader-friendly, this comprehensive text illuminates the continued importance of race and ethnicity in all aspects of the administration of justice.
New to the Fifth Edition:
- “Both Sides of the Debate” boxes encourage student engagement and critical thinking as they explore both sides of controversial issues, such as: school shootings; the "Model Minority" label; affluenza; eliminating peremptory challenges; President Trump’s judicial appointments; the underreporting of hate crimes; the increase of opioid use among black Americans; and expanding the death penalty for opioid dealers.
- Extensive updates around policing provides a foundational understanding of important issues, such as: policing and the use of force; the Black Lives Matter movement; the Blue Lives Matter movement; the need for diversity in law enforcement; traffic stops; and the connection between immigration and policing.
- Key court rulings are included along with updated discussions of racial disparities in plea bargains, backstrikes of potential jurors, wrongful convictions, and intersectionality in death penalty decisions.
- Important topics such as life after prison and the impact of felony disenfranchisement on minorities help contextualize the discussion of corrections.
- Updated data tables such as crime and victimization trends, hate crime incidents, and juvenile crime/victimization put the study of race and crime in complete context.
- Discussions of the Trump Administration’s policies capture the current state of crime and justice policies in the United States.
- Updated data tables such as crime and victimization trends, hate crime incidents, and juvenile crime/victimization put the study of race and crime in complete context for students.
Instructors, sign in to the password-protected Instructor Site at study.sagepub.com/gabbidon5e for access to a Microsoft® Word test bank, chapter activities, SAGE journal articles, and more!
|Race, DNA, Criminal Justice Databases, and Civil Rights Concerns|
|Race, Ethnicity, and the U.S. Population in 2015|
|Race, Ethnicity, and Population Trends|
|Prejudice, Discrimination, and Implicit Bias|
|Historical Antecedents of Race and Crime in America|
|History of Crime and Victimization Statistics in the United States|
|The Uniform Crime Reporting Program|
|Limitations of Arrest and Victimization Data|
|What Is Theory?|
|Biology, Race, and Crime|
|Culture Conflict Theory|
|Strain or Anomie Theory|
|General Strain Theory|
|The Colonial Model|
|Integrated and Nontraditional Theories on Race and Crime|
|Overview of Policing in America|
|Historical Overview of Race and Policing|
|Contemporary Issues in Race and Policing|
|Overview of American Courts: Actors and Processes|
|Historical Overview of Race and the Courts in America|
|Contemporary Issues in Race and the Courts|
|Scholarship on Race/Ethnicity, Bail, and Pretrial Release|
|Historical Overview of Race and Sentencing|
|Contemporary Issues in Race and Sentencing|
|Historical Overview of Race and the Death Penalty|
|Significant Death Penalty Cases|
|Current Statistics on the Death Penalty|
|Scholarship on Race and the Death Penalty|
|Public Opinion and the Death Penalty|
|Contemporary Issues in Race and the Death Penalty|
|Overview of American Corrections|
|Historical Overview of Race and Corrections|
|Contemporary State of Corrections|
|Contemporary Issues in Race and Corrections|
|Overview of Juvenile Justice|
|Historical Overview of Race and Juvenile Justice|
|Race, Juvenile Crime, and Victimization|
|Youth in the Juvenile Justice System|
|Contemporary Issues in Juvenile Justice|