Professor Jackie Powell, University of Southampton
"The PQ landscape is complex and changing fast, so the reader will be grateful to Pat Higham and her colleagues for this clear and comprehensive analysis of PQ"
Professor Mark Doel, Sheffield Hallam University.
" a comprehensive introduction to social work education at post-qualifying level. It identifies the key issues qualified social workers need to consider in contemporary practice and enables them to engage in critical reflection through the development of their post-qualifying expertise."
Professor John Harris, University of Warwick
This core textbook provides an authoritative overview of the post-qualifying awards in social work. Written in response to recent policy and training guidelines, the book will enhance social workers' post-qualifying knowledge, skills and values within specialist areas of practice.
The book will:
- Use critical self-appraisal to construct different ways of thinking about and doing social work
- Encourage reflection on their practice
- Enable social workers to build confidence in their professional identity
- Move from competence to increased capability and to expertise
- Help social workers to explore values dilemmas
- Increase social workers' knowledge for practice
- Promote learning and career development.
This book examines core assumptions about post qualifying practice - that values and relationships (including partnerships with service users) are essential to good practice, that social workers will work in diverse organisational structures and that social workers in the United Kingdom should become aware of European models of social work.