This book is for you. It is the first to combine the theory & practice of CBT with career counselling, presenting cognitive & behavioural approaches to help clients think & act more effectively in challenging situations in order to obtain their goals. Providing clear, practical strategies & a wealth of materials that can be used with clients in one-to-one or group settings, the book introduces:
- theory of cognitive & behavioural psychological approaches within the context of career counselling
- motivational techniques to help clients succeed at interview
- how to help clients make effective vocational/educational choices & excel in the workplace
- professional issues i.e., assessment tools, ethical issues, evaluation
- self-management, using CBT techniques on yourself.
This is essential reading for trainees studying for a careers guidance qualification, as well as CBT trainees wishing to go on to career counselling.
Steve Sheward is a Careers Counsellor & CBT Therapist working in the NHS. He was previously director of the Connexions Service in South London.
Rhena Branch is an experienced CBT Therapist & author, teaching the MSc in RECBT at Goldsmith's University.