In this original text, Simon Western deconstructs and reconstructs leadership to challenge the popular notion of the individual or hero leader, instead using his own framework to present leadership as a distributed process.
New to the third edition:
- A new chapter on leadership symptoms that offers a novel approach to researching and conceptualizing leadership.
- An expanded chapter on “Leadership and Diversity” with Pooja Sachdev.
- Updated material on “The Eco-Leadership Discourse”, with the chapter now differentiating between ethical eco-leadership and commercial eco-leaders (e.g Facebook, Google, Amazon).
- Analysis of contemporary leadership trends, including leadership in the gig economy, algorithmic management, and the rise in messiah and authoritarian leadership in populist parties.
- Updated case studies with references to current politicians and organizations.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Part One: Deconstructing Leadership
Chapter 1: Why A Critical Approach to Leadership
Chapter 2: What is Leadership?
Chapter 3: The Plurality Of Leadership: A Case Study
Chapter 4: Against Leadership: Autonomist Leadership
Chapter 5: Leadership and Diversity
Chapter 6: Leadership and Organizational Culture
Chapter 7: Corporate Fundamentalism
Part Two: Reconstructing Leadership
Chapter 8: The Four Discourses of Leadership
Chapter 9: The Controller Leadership Discourse
Chapter 10: The Therapist Leadership Discourse
Chapter 11: The Messiah Leadership Discourse
Chapter 12: The Eco-Leadership Discourse
Chapter 13: An Overview of the Leadership Discourses
Chapter 14: Leadership Formation: Creating Spaces for Leadership to Flourish
Chapter 15: Seeking Leadership Symptoms
Chapter 16: Epilogue