The best-selling Introduction to Social Work takes students to the root of the social work profession by covering its history, practice settings, and career paths within a unique advocacy framework. This advocacy practice and policy model comprised of four components—economic and social justice, a supportive environment, human needs and rights, and political access—provides an effective lens for viewing today’s social issues. Throughout the book, an emphasis on advocacy underscores the transformative opportunities and contributions of social work on not just the clinical/client level, but also at organizational, community, national, and international levels. The Second Edition closely aligns with the latest Educational Policy and Accreditation Standards (EPAS) from the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and references the 2018 Code of Ethics from the National Association of Social Workers (NASW). Through the authors’ inclusion of reflective practice, students will be encouraged to engage in critical thought and contemplate a career in social work.
Free Poster: What Can You Do with a Degree in Social Work?
SAGE edge for Instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students.
- Test banks provide a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity to edit any question and/or insert personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding.
- Sample course syllabi for 10-week and 15-week courses provide suggested models for structuring one’s courses.
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter is included.
- Lecture notes summarize key concepts by chapter to help prepare for lectures and class discussions.
- Discussion Questions and Chapter Exercises help students engage with the material by reinforcing important content and inspiring critical thinking.
- A course cartridge provides easy LMS integration.
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
- Mobile-friendly eFlashcards strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts.
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
- Carefully selected chapter-by-chapter video links and multimedia content enhance classroom-based explorations of key topics.
- Chapter summaries with learning objectives reinforce the most important material.
- Case studies help students apply new concepts to realistic situations they may face.
- EXCLUSIVE! Full-text SAGE journal articles support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter.