The Fifth Edition has been organized into three sections: (1) an overview of counseling and the counseling process, (2) multicultural counseling and counseling theories, and (3) special approaches and settings. It continues to address key topics and issues, including gender, culture, and sexual orientation, and offers ways to integrate multiculturalism into all aspects of counseling, rather than view it as a separate entity. Highlighting emerging trends and changes in ethical codes, as well as reflecting the latest updates to the Diagnostic Statistical Manual (DSM-5), the book successfully illustrates the importance of art and science to modern-day counseling.
|Welcome to the Field of Counseling|
|What Is Counseling?|
|Counseling: Past, Present, and Future|
|Becoming a Professional Counselor|
|The Art and Science of the Counseling Process|
|The Six Stages of the Counseling Process|
|Recent Trends in the Counseling Process|
|Common Problems for Beginning Counselors|
|The Art and Science of Assessment and Diagnosis|
|Assessment and Diagnosis|
|The Art and Science of Research and Evaluation|
|The Purpose of Research and Evaluation|
|Overview of the Types of Research|
|The Art and Science of Developing a Personal Approach to Counseling from a Multicultural Perspective|
|Developing a Personal Approach to Counseling|
|An Eight-Stage Model for Developing a Personal Approach|
|Potential Challenges in Multicultural Counseling|
|Suggestions for Incorporating a Multicultural Perspective|
|The Art and Science of the Classic Theories|
|An Overview of Freud, Adler, and Jung|
|Freud’s Psychoanalytic Theory|
|Adler’s Individual Psychology|
|Jung’s Analytic Psychology|
|The Classic Theories and Their Use in Contemporary Practice|
|The Art and Science of Experiential Counseling|
|Creative Arts Therapy|
|Research Trends in Experiential Counseling|
|The Art and Science of Cognitive-Behavioral Counseling|
|Rational–Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT)|
|Transactional Analysis (TA)|
|Special Issues in Cognitive-Behavioral Counseling|
|The Art and Science of Marriage and Family Counseling|
|Evolution of Marriage and Family Counseling|
|Professional Issues and Organizations|
|The Art and Science of Child and Adolescent Counseling|
|Children and Adolescents from a Historical Perspective|
|Special Problems of Children and Adolescents|
|Diversity and Postmodern Issues in Child and Adolescent Counseling|
|The Art and Science of Group Counseling|
|Group Counseling from a Historical Perspective|
|Comparison to Individual and Family Counseling|
|Problem Solving and Group Process|
|Group Size, Composition, and Duration|
|Use of Coleaders|
|Pregroup Screening and Orientation|
|Stages in Group Counseling|
|Brief-Solution-Focused Group Counseling|
|Dealing with Disruptive Group Members|
|Common Mistakes of Group Leaders|
|Qualities of Effective Group Leaders|
|The Art and Science of Career Counseling|
|Evolution of Career Counseling|
|Diversity Issues in Career Counseling|
|The Art and Science of School Counseling|
|A Comprehensive Developmental Model for School Counseling|
|Role and Function of School Counselors|
|Special Skills and Problems|
|Trends in School Counseling|
|The Art and Science of Mental Health Counseling|
|The Role and Function of Mental Health Counselors|
|Categories of Mental Health Services|
|Strategies for Suicidal Clients|
|Substance Abuse Counseling|
|Trends and Perspectives|
Password-protected Instructor Resources include the following:
- A Microsoft® Word® test bank is available containing multiple choice, true/false, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter. The test bank provides you with a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity for editing any question and/or inserting your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding.
- A Respondus electronic test bank is available and can be used on PCs. The test bank contains multiple choice, true/false, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter and provides you with a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity for editing any question and/or inserting your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding. Respondus is also compatible with many popular learning management systems so you can easily get your test questions into your online course.
- Editable, chapter-specific Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides offer you complete flexibility in easily creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- An author-created Instructor's Manual provides teaching resources by chapter, including chapter summaries, key concepts, learning objectives, lecture organization, discussion questions, and class activities.
The open-access Student Study Site includes the following:
- Chapter summaries with learning objectives reinforce the most important material.
- Mobile-friendly eFlashcards reinforce understanding of key terms and concepts that have been outlined in the chapters.
- Mobile-friendly web quizzes allow for independent assessment of progress made in learning course material.
The Fifth edition utilized over 200 new references to address changes to the counseling profession and emerging trends. Some of the emerging trends included were: counseling and neuroscience, professional identity of counselors, wellness and positive psychology, evidenced based-empirically supported treatment modalities, mindfulness-based approaches, cybercounseling and other assisted-technologies in counseling, self-care for counselors, and multicultural issues relating to social justice and sexual orientation.
Two issues received special attention for the 5th edition: changes to the codes of ethics and professional conduct, and the 5th edition of the Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) (American Psychiatric Association, 2013).
Changes to Codes of Ethics and Professional Conduct
The American Counseling Association code of ethics 2014 and the American Psychological Association code of conduct 2010 were updated throughout the book to provide information regarding: client welfare, informed consent, confidentiality, and dual relations. Other ethical codes updated throughout the book included: the American School Counseling Association ethical standards for school counselors, American Mental Health Counselors Association, and the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
Updated information provided on the DSM-5 (American Psychiatric Association, 2013) included:
· History of the DSM
· Definition of mental disorders
· Neuroscience issues in diagnosis
· Elements of a diagnosis
· Multicultural considerations in diagnosis
· Categorical versus dimensional approaches to DSM-5 diagnosis
· Personal note regarding categorical and dimensional diagnosis
· New table differentiating categorical and dimensional diagnosis
· Controversies regarding the DSM-5 (e.g., over-diagnosing, concerns regarding changes to diagnostic criteria for some disorders, and disorders that were added and deleted).