- Richard Luther, Keele University
'The study of political parties has never been livelier and this genuinely international Handbook – theoretically rich, comparatively informed, and focused on important questions – defines the field. This volume is both an indispensable summary of what we know and the starting point for future research'
- R K Carty, University of British Columbia
'Political parties are ubiquitous, but their forms and functions vary greatly from regime to regime, from continent to continent, and from era to era. The Handbook of Party Politics captures this variation and richness in impressive ways. The editors have assembled an excellent team, and the scope of the volume is vast and intriguing'
- Kaare Strom, University of California, San Diego
Political parties are indispensable to democracy and a central subject of research and study in political science around the world. This major new handbook is the first to comprehensively map the state-of-the-art in contemporary party politics scholarship.
The Handbook is designed to:
- provide an invaluable survey of the major theories and approaches in this dynamic area of study and research
- give students and researchers a concise 'road map' to the core literatures in all the sub-fields of party related theorizing and research
- identify the theories, approaches and topics that define the current 'cutting edge' of the field.
The Handbook is comparative in overall approach but also addresses some topics to be addressed in nationally or regionally specific ways. The resulting collaboration has brought together the world's leading party theorists to provide an unrivalled resource on the role of parties in the pressing contemporary problems of institutional design and democratic governance today.
|The Unwanted Emergence of Party-Based Politics|
|Methods and Consequences|
|Party Finance in the United States|
|Features of Governing in Representative Democracies|
|Still Many Puzzles|
|Methodological and Conceptual Problems|
|The United States and Western Europe|