Essentials of Tourism
- Chris Cooper - Leeds Beckett University
Hospitality, Travel & Tourism Management
Will robots take over as hotel staff? How has the rise of social media impacted upon tourism marketing? Will trust in travel be regained following the pandemic? For answers to these and many other contemporary tourism questions, look no further than this fourth edition of Essentials of Tourism.
Maintaining its concise, lively and accessible style for students, key updates to this edition include:
- New content related to the impact of Covid-19 on tourism, changing government policy, VR tourism and the metaverse, climate change, sustainable tourism and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- A range of new case studies and examples showing how tourism theory can be applied in varied and international contexts
- A focus on both technology and skills and employability for the tourism sector in every chapter
- A recommended ‘classic paper’ per chapter marking key milestones in tourism thinking
Essentials of Tourism is essential reading for all tourism students looking for the very latest coverage of the field and industry.
Chris Cooper is Professor in the School of Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management at Leeds Beckett University, UK. He was awarded the UNWTO Ulysses Medal for his contribution to tourism education and policy.
‘The Essentials of Tourism by Chris Cooper is a must read for all tourism students and researchers. As an overview it addresses issues that have to do with demand for tourism, the tourism industry as well as the tourism destination. It supports tourism industry professionals to develop a comprehensive picture of the economic, environmental, cultural and social impacts of tourism. The book emphasises government policy and sustainability concerns whilst addressing market forces with cases from around the world. It has been updated to bring possible strategies to mitigate for the COVID pandemic. This will be a useful reference for all tourism researchers and students.’
“The fourth edition of Essentials of Tourism by Chris Cooper provides a timely update to a well-established and authoritative text, that is widely respected for its clarity and expertise. It provides loads of interesting case studies and examples that will engage students.”