Bruce A. Marlowe and Alan S. Canestrari
Introduction: Theory into Practice
Part I: Real Classrooms
Madeline Hunter and Doug Russell
1. Planning for Effective Instruction: Lesson Design
Elliot Aronson and Diane Bridgeman
2. Jigsaw Groups and the Desegregated Classroom: In Pursuit of Common Goals
Robert J. Marzano and Jana S. Marzano
3. The Key to Classroom Management
Richard P. Traina
4. What Makes a Good Teacher?
Part II: How Does Learning Occur?
5. The Science of Learning and the Art of Teaching
Albert Bandura, Dorothea Ross, and Sheila A. Ross
6. Transmission of Aggression Through Imitation of Aggressive Models
Daniel T. Willingham
7. Students Remember … What They Think About
Darlene L. Witte-Townsend and Anne E. Hill
8. Toward a Pedagogy of Depth in Everyday Classrooms: Exploring Relational Consciousness Among Teachers and Young Children
Part III: What Role Does Maturation Play in Learning
9. The Stages of Intellectual Development of the Child
Erik H. Erikson
10. Eight Ages of Man
Lawrence Kohlberg and R. Kramer
11. Continuities and Discontinuities in Childhood and Adult Moral Development
12. Images of Relationship
Part IV: How Should Student Diversity Affect Teaching Practice?
13. English Only: The Tongue-Tying of America
14. Can Inclusion Work? A Conversation with Jim Kauffman and Mara Sapon-Shevin
15. The First Seven … and the Eighth: A Conversation With Howard Gardner
Edward P. Torrance
16. Insights About Creativity: Questioned, Rejected, Ridiculed, Ignored
Part V: What Factors Influence Student Motivation?
17. Five Reasons to Stop Saying "Good Job!"
Carol S. Dweck
18. Caution: Praise Can Be Dangerous
Abraham H. Maslow
19. A Theory of Human Motivation
Martin E. P. Seligman, Stephen F. Maier, and James H. Geer
20. Alleviation of Learned Helplessness in the Dog
Part VI: What Do Good Assessments Look Like?
21. Standardized Testing and Its Victims
22. Teaching to the (Authentic) Test
John D. Krumboltz and Christine J. Yeh
23. Competitive Grading Sabotages Good Teaching
24. Letter to a State Test Scorer (From a Science Teacher Who Knows His 5th Graders Well)
About the Editors