In an age of mass advertising, social media and the selfie, knowledge and information are exchanged by increasingly visual means. As such, interpretation and understanding of visual forms of communication is becoming a key requirement for students and scholars in the social sciences. Doing Visual Analysis is the comprehensive and accessible introduction to this exciting and rapidly developing research method. In it, the authors:
- Guide readers through the theoretical and methodological foundations of visual research
- Use specially tailored exercises to demonstrate the process of visual analysis
- Equip students with the skills and expertise necessary to conduct their own visual research
- Clearly define key terms and concepts in a detailed glossary
- Encourage exploration of a wider literature in carefully curated ‘further reading’ sections
This is the must-have guide to doing visual analysis for students of media, sociology, design, and cultural studies.