Discover Sociology: Core Concepts
- Daina S. Eglitis - George Washington University, USA
- William J. Chambliss - George Washington University, USA
Discover Sociology: Core Concepts explores sociology as a discipline of curious minds, with the theoretical, conceptual, and empirical tools needed to understand, analyze, and even change the world. It is adapted from Discover Sociology, Fourth Edition and offers in-depth coverage of 12 high-priority topics that are at the core of almost all introductory sociology courses.
The Second Edition of Core Concepts maintains its reader-friendly narrative and the hallmark themes of the parent book, including the unequal distribution of power in society (“Inequality Matters”), the sociological imagination (“Private Lives, Public Issues”), career skills (“What Can I Do With a Sociology Degree?”) and civil discourse (“Discover and Debate”). In response to reader’s requests, this edition features expanded coverage of issues such as intersectionality, popular culture, and changes in the contemporary population of college students in the U.S. Additionally, updated social indicators bring in the latest data available from the U.S. Census Bureau, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Pew Research Center, among others, to ensure that discussions and figures remain timely.
This title is accompanied by a complete teaching and learning package. Contact your SAGE representative to request a demo.
- Digital Option / Courseware
SAGE Vantage is an intuitive digital platform that delivers this text’s content and course materials in a learning experience that offers auto-graded assignments and interactive multimedia tools, all carefully designed to ignite student engagement and drive critical thinking. Built with you and your students in mind, it offers simple course set-up and enables students to better prepare for class. Learn more.
- Assignable Video with Assessment
Assignable video (available with SAGE Vantage) is tied to learning objectives and curated exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life. Watch a sample video now.
- Assignable Video with Assessment
- LMS Cartridge (formerly known as SAGE Coursepacks): Import this title’s instructor resources into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Don’t use an LMS? You can still access all of the same online resources for this title via the password-protected Instructor Resource Site. Learn more.
- SAGE Lecture Spark: Designed to save you time and ignite student engagement, these free weekly lecture launchers focus on current event topics tied to key concepts in Sociology. Access this week’s topic.
For additional information, custom options, or to request a personalized walkthrough of these resources, please contact your sales representative.
LMS cartridge included with this title for use in Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
The LMS cartridge makes it easy to import this title’s instructor resources into your learning management system (LMS). These resources include:
- Test banks
- Editable chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides
- Sample course syllabi
- Lecture notes
- All tables and figures from the textbook
You can still access all of the same online resources for this title via the password-protected Instructor Resource Site.
The open-access Student Study Site makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime. It offers flashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, as well as learning objectives that reinforce the most important material.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 3: Culture and Mass Media
Chapter 2: Discover Sociological Research