Today’s secondary classrooms are increasingly diverse places and skilled English teachers need to be able to develop flexible teaching strategies that can be adapted to best serve diverse learners with divergent needs. This textbook for pre-service teachers gives them pragmatic guidance on the major aspects of literacy teaching, and how to draw insight research and apply it in diverse classrooms.
Key coverage includes:
· The fundamental aspects of teaching reading and writing to adolescent learners.
· How to intelligently select and use literature with secondary students.
· Multi-literacies and the use of technology in English teaching.
· Assessment strategies for the classroom.
· Teaching techniques for developing reading comprehension.
This is essential reading for anyone training to teach English in secondary classrooms, and for recently qualified teachers looking to sharpen their practice.