Shortlisted for the British Book Design and Production Awards 2018, Educational Books category
Do you need to demonstrate a good argument or find more evidence? Are you mystified by your tutor's comment 'critical analysis needed'? What does it really mean to think well - and how do you learn to do it?
Critical thinking is a set of techniques. You just need to learn them.
So here’s your personal toolkit for demystifying critical engagement. I’ll show you how to sharpen your critical thinking by developing and practicing this set of skills, so you can…
- Spot an argument and get why reasoning matters
- Sniff out errors and evaluate evidence
- Understand and account for bias
- Become a savvy user of technology
- Develop clear, confident critical writing.
Designed to work seamlessly with a power pack of digital resources and exercises, you'll find practical and effective tools to think and write critically in an information-saturated age. No matter whether you're launching on your first degree or arriving as an international or mature student, Critical Thinking gives you the skills, insights and confidence to succeed.
In your critical thinking toolkit
- Watch the 10 commandments videos – life rules to change how you think
- Smart Study boxes share excellent tips to whip your work into shape
- BuzzFeed quizzes to test what (you think) you know
- Space to scribble! Journal your thoughts, questions, eureka moments as you go
- Chat more online with #TalkCriticalThinking
Lecturers, request your electronic inspection copy here.
SAGE Study Skills are essential study guides for students of all levels. From how to write great essays and succeeding at university, to writing your undergraduate dissertation and doing postgraduate research, SAGE Study Skills help you get the best from your time at university. Visit the SAGE Study Skills hub for tips, resources and videos on study success!
Access a range of free digital resources to support your teaching:
- Interactive sample chapter
- Welcome video from Tom ('What is Critical Thinking?')
- BuzzFeed quiz to find out what kind of thinker you are
- 'About Tom Chatfield' section
- Downloadable classroom materials
- Downloadable PowerPoint slides to support teaching
Visit the SAGE Study Skills hub for tips, resources and videos on study success!
Watch over 20 videos of author Tom Chatfield discussing Critical Thinking and key ideas from his book, including each of his 10 Commandments.