Written by a former federal prosecutor and public defender, Criminal Law and Procedure: A Courtroom Approach introduces students to the essentials of criminal law and procedure by illuminating the legal issues justice professionals face before, during, and after a criminal trial. Through the examination of statutes, edited case excerpts, and recent constitutional interpretation of black letter law, the text bridges the gap between learning criminal procedure and applying criminal law.
Drawing from author Stephanie A. Jirard’s vast experience in both the courtroom and the classroom, Criminal Law and Procedure gets students to think critically about real-world issues and practice applying the law in a just and meaningful way. Accessible and engaging, this text presents criminal law and procedure as an exciting opportunity to have a direct, positive impact on our communities and the criminal justice system.
- “Making the Courtroom Connection” boxes help students apply the legal concepts they learn to real-life issues facing law enforcement, the court system, and correctional institutions today.
- Edited case excerpts connect criminal law and procedure with current case material on relevant topics so students can see the impact of judicial decision making.
- “Applying the Law to the Facts” boxes engage students’ critical thinking skills and enhance their logical problem-solving abilities by providing opportunities to apply the rule of law to different scenarios.
- “Springboard for Discussion” prompts spark conversations and invite students to contrast the moral, ethical, and legal implications of criminal law and procedure in a larger context.
- Problem-solving exercises at the end of each chapter provide students with opportunities to test themselves on the material before a formal assessment.
- Active Learning Exercises in the Instructor’s Manual enable professors to offer additional opportunities for experiential learning.
Give your students the SAGE edge!
SAGE edge offers a robust online environment featuring an impressive array of free tools and resources for review, study, and further exploration, keeping both instructors and students on the cutting edge of teaching and learning. Learn more at edge.sagepub.com/jirard.
|SOURCES OF LAW|
|THE GEOGRAPHY OF CRIMINAL CASES|
|THE ACTORS IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM|
|PROTECTING CITIZENS AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE PROFESSIONALS|
|FEDERALISM AND STATES’ RIGHTS|
|THE PRETRIAL IDENTIFICATION PROCESS|
|THE ADVERSARY SYSTEM|
|HOW A CASE GETS TO THE U.S. SUPREME COURT|
|PARTIES TO CRIME|
|CRIMES AGAINST THE PERSON|
|CRIMES AGAINST THE PUBLIC|
|THE FOURTH AMENDMENT|
|SEIZURES OF THE PERSON|
|THE WARRANT REQUIREMENT|
|WARRANTLESS SEARCHES AND SEIZURES|
|THE EXCLUSIONARY RULE AND THE GOOD FAITH EXCEPTION|
|THE EVOLUTION OF MIRANDA WARNINGS|
|INVOKING THE RIGHTS PURSUANT TO MIRANDA|
|WHEN MIRANDA IS VIOLATED|
|THE SIXTH AMENDMENT AND THE RIGHT TO COUNSEL|
|THE RIGHT TO COUNSEL|
|POST TRIAL REPRESENTATION|
|SPECIAL FIRST AMENDMENT ISSUES|
|FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION|
|FREEDOM OF RELIGION|
|HOW DEFENSES ARE RAISED|
|DEFENSES BASED ON EXCUSE|
|DEFENSES BASED ON JUSTIFICATION|
|TYPES OF SENTENCES|
|THE DEATH PENALTY|
|THE APPELLATE PROCESS|
SAGE edge for instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students with:
- a password-protected site for complete and protected access to all text-specific instructor resources;
- test banks that provide a diverse range of ready-to-use options that save you time. You can also easily edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions;
- editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course;
- exclusive access to full-text, influential SAGE journal articles, which have been carefully selected to tie important research and scholarship to chapter concepts;
- video and audio links that meet the learning needs of today’s media-savvy students and bring concepts to life; an
- Active Learning Exercises in the Instructor's Manual offer additional opportunities for experiential learning.
SAGE edge for students enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- an open-access site that makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime;
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts; and
- Quizzes that allow students to practice and assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention.