The definitive guide to the skills and techniques used when working with children experiencing emotional problems, this book covers all you need to know about:
- The goals for counselling children and the child-counsellor relationship
- Practice frameworks for working effectively with children
- Play therapy and the use of different media and activities
- Building self-esteem and social skills through the use of worksheets.
This fifth edition has been updated to include:
- A new chapter on technology; its influence on children and ways that technology can be used during counselling
- New content on issues of diversity and difference in counselling children
- The different contexts in which counselling children occur
- Discussion of concepts of wellbeing and resilience
- Updated references and research.
The book is supported by a new companion website that provides training materials and handouts on a range of skills for counselling children including: helping the child to tell their story sand tray work, the use of miniature animals, the use of clay, and helping the child to change thoughts and behaviour.
This highly practical guide is vital reading for counsellors, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists, nurses and teachers working or training to work with children.