“I highly recommend this textbook to any instructor of an introductory criminal law course. It provides a concise overview of the law and introduces students to the complexities of the law in practice by providing case scenarios. This is an excellent textbook with beneficial supplementary online resources.”
—Erin C. Heil, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
A book that students find interesting and instructors consider educationally valuable, the Fifth Edition of Contemporary Criminal Law combines traditional concepts with thought-provoking cases and engaging learning tools. The text covers both foundational and emerging legal topics such as terrorism, gangs, cybercrime, and hate crimes, illustrated by real-life examples that students connect with. Clear explanations of criminal law and defenses are complemented by provocative, well-edited cases followed by discussion questions to stimulate critical thinking and in-class discussion. The book provides a contemporary perspective on criminal law that encourages students to actively read and analyze the text. The Fifth Edition is enhanced throughout by new cases that offer the most up-to-date coverage of evolving legal opinions and developments in criminal law.
Bundle Lippman’s texts and save!
We’ve made it easy for students to get Striking the Balance all in one convenient package at a student-friendly price. When bundled with the new edition of Contemporary Criminal Law, students receive a 20% discount.
Use ISBN: 978-1-5443-4269-6
Give your students the SAGE edge!
SAGE edge offers a robust online environment featuring an impressive array of free tools and resources for review, study, and further exploration, keeping both instructors and students on the cutting edge of teaching and learning. Learn more at edge.sagepub.com/lippmanccl5e.
SAGE edge for Instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students.
- Test banks provide a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity to edit any question and/or insert personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding
- Lecture notes summarize key concepts by chapter to ease preparation for lectures and class discussions
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for the course
- Tables and Figures are available in an easily-downloadable format for use in papers, hand-outs, and presentations
- Sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for structuring one’s course
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter to encourage students to think critically
- Class activities for individual or group projects provide lively and stimulating ideas for use in and out of class reinforce active learning.
- Video and Multimedia, including carefully selected chapter-by-chapter video and multimedia content which enhance classroom-based explorations of key topics
- A course cartridge provides easy LMS integration
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
- Mobile-friendly practice Quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
- Mobile-friendly eFlashcards strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts.
- Carefully selected chapter-by-chapter Video and Multimedia content which enhance classroom-based explorations of key topics.
- SAGE Journal Articles combine cutting-edge academic journal scholarship with the topics in your course for a robust classroom experience.
- Additional Cases are included for further reading and application of the concepts.
- Sample Answers from the 'You Decide' boxes on the text.