"What a magnificent invitation to the field of media and communication - full of lively debate and relevant examples yet carefully balanced, comprehensive in scope and thoughtfully explained.“
Order your e-inspection copy on VitalSource. Now in its seventh edition, this landmark text continues to define the field of media and mass communication theory and research, offering a uniquely comprehensive and balanced guide. It maintains the narrative of earlier editions into the world of pervasive, ubiquitous, mobile, social and always-online media that we live in today.
New to this edition:
- An increased focus on conceptualizing ‘mass’ media and communication and media theory in an age of big data, algorithmic culture, AI, platform governance, streaming services, and mass self-communication.
- Further discussion of the ethics of media and mass communication in all chapters.
- Inclusion of a diverse and global range of voices, histories and examples from across the field.
- More detailed attention to the way media industries work and what it is like to make all kinds of media, including but not limited to: journalism, advertising, film, television, and digital games.
- New and revised material, including a new chapter “A Canon of Media Effects”, bringing together Social-Cultural Effects & News, Public Opinion and Political Communication, helping the reader to rethink and reframe the whole idea of media effects and influence.
A vitally important resource for all students of Media and Mass Communication in the 21st century.