A Guide to the Theory and Practice of Ethnography
- Raymond Madden - La Trobe University, Australia
Ethnography | Qualitative Research (General)
Being Ethnographic is a fundamental introductory guidebook to process and utilization of doing fieldwork within real-world settings. It explores our understanding of identities, the future of ethnography and the advancing role of technology in a global, networked society.
The third edition of Being Ethnographic highlights the challenges introduced by the ethnographers' own interests, biases and ideologies and demonstrates the importance of methodological reflexivity.
This fully updated third edition includes:
- Discussions on technology and multimodality as hands-on tools for the field
- Helpful insights into making thoughtful choices around a research design
- Aid in engaging ethically and effectively within the field
- Lasting tips for finalising and conducting research
An insightful and comprehensive text on the ethnographic method – a must-read for social scientists, whether students, academics or practitioners. Madden’s engaging text convincingly demonstrates the ongoing value of ethnography for making sense of our world.
The craft of ethnography is fiendishly difficult to explain, but Raymond Madden does a superb job of it in this third edition of a now-classic manual. From traditional fieldwork to online ethnography to post-pandemic fieldwork, this book has it all.