Steeped in vivid case examples, experimental activities and therapeutic dialogue, this book provides a thorough, step-by-step guide to the subject, working through each stage of the helping process.
The key skills covered include:
- Starting, structuring and summarizing the helping process
- Active listening
- Offering challenges and feedback
- Facilitating problem solving
- Improving clients` self-talk, rules and perceptions
- Coaching, demonstrating and rehearsing
- Managing resistance and changing referrals
- Conducting middle sessions and terminating helping
Accessible, practical and concise, this bestselling book also discusses ethical issues and dilemmas, multicultural and gender aware helping, providing a master-class for anyone using counselling skills in the course of their work.