If not now, when?
Anchored in the tenets of justice, repair, and belonging, Equity Now is a comprehensive guide for educators that emphasizes the urgent need for immediate action to dismantle systemic barriers in education. Aimed at K-12 professionals at all levels of the education system, the book urges us to move beyond individual efforts by applying an equity lens to our policies and practices.
Through honest, sustained, and critical dialogues in "brave spaces," educators can address disparities and create equity-centered school communities. Equity Now proposes a solutions-oriented approach to fostering welcoming, affirming, responsive, and rigorous learning environments. Author Tyrone C. Howard, one of the leading authorities on issues related to racial inequality in our schools, provides
- An equity framework grounded in justice, repair, and belonging
- A clear vision of equity-focused leadership
- Essential practices, strategies, and resources for classroom teachers
- Suggestion for engaging parents, families and caregivers in schools
- Recommendations for engaging data in an equity based way
- Reflection questions and additional resources at the close of each chapter
This book is a must-read for educators, administrators, and policymakers who are committed to creating conditions in which our children can reach their highest potential.