The Political Speechwriter's Companion
A Guide for Writers and Speakers
- Robert A. Lehrman - American University, USA
- Eric Schnure - American University, USA
Political Communication | Speech Communication (General)
The Political Speechwriter's Companion guides students through a systematic “LAWS” approach (language, anecdote, wit, and support) that politicians can use to persuade their audiences into taking action. In the highly anticipated Second Edition, esteemed speechwriter and author Robert A. Lehrman has teamed up with one of the "go-to-guys" for political humor, Eric Schnure, to offer students an entertaining yet practical introduction to political speechwriting. This how-to guide explains how speakers can deliver:
- language the audience will understand and remember,
- anecdotes that make listeners laugh and cry,
- wit that pokes fun at opponents but also shows their own lighter side, and
- support in the way of statistics, examples, and testimony.
Packed with annotated speeches from the most recent elections, technology tips, and interviews from speechwriting luminaries, this edition offers the most practical advice and strategies for a career in political communication.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1: The Political Speech