About the Authors
1. Structure of the Book
2. And What Do You Mean by Learning?
3. Mr. Holland’s Opus
4. Transition From Music to E = mc Squared
5. A Letter to the Reader
6. Light Carries Energy
7. How Fast Is Light?
8. What Is Light? What Is Ether?
9. How Can We Describe the Energy of Light?
10. The Principle of Conservation of Energy
11. Max and Ming: Light in the Matchbox
12. Max and Ming Build Their Frames of Reference
13. What Time Is It on a Distant Clock?
14. Max and Ming Review the Concept of Time
15. Einstein’s Theory of Relativity
16. How E = mc Squared Comes About
17. Toward a Conception of Learning
Appendix A: Energy of Motion of a Body
Appendix B: Frequencies and Energies of Photons If Time Is Absolute
Appendix C: Max’s Time Coordinates of Four Events
Appendix D: Is the Speed of Light Special?
Appendix E: Einstein’s Relationship Between Frames of Reference
Appendix F: Time and the Pythagorean Theorem
Appendix G: How Gamma Depends on v
Appendix H: Energy of Photons According to Ming
Appendix I: How Absorption of Light Changes Mass
Appendix J: Lenard and Einstein