Organized in accessible sections and covering the main themes of research and teaching it examines:
• The key approaches to understanding popular music
• The main settings of exchange and consumption
• The role of technology in the production of popular music
• The main genres of popular music
• The key debates of the present day
Barbazon writes with verve and penetration. Her approach starts with how most people actually consume music today and transfers this onto the plain of study.
The book enables teachers and students to shuffle from one topic to the other whilst providing an unparalleled access the core concepts and issues. As such, it is the perfect study guide for undergraduates located in this exciting and expanding field.
Tara Brabazon is Professor of Communication at University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT).