Mediation Theory and Practice
- Suzanne McCorkle - Mac-Finn Enterprises, Inc., Boise State University, USA
- Melanie J. Reese - Boise State University, USA, Idaho State Department of Education
Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
Mediation Theory and Practice, Third Edition introduces students to the process of mediation by using practical examples that show students how to better manage conflicts and resolve disputes. Authors Suzanne McCorkle and Melanie J. Reese help students to understand the research and theory that underlie mediation, as well as provide students with the foundational skills a mediator must possess in any context, including issue identification, setting the agenda for negotiation, problem solving, settlement, and closure.
New to the Third Edition:
- Expanded content on the role of evaluative mediation reflects the latest changes to the alternative dispute resolution field, helping students to distinguish between various approaches to mediation.
- Additional discussions around careers in conflict management familiarize students with employment opportunities for mediators, standards of professional conduct, and professional mediator competencies.
- New activities and case studies throughout each chapter assist students in developing their mediation competency.
Instructors, sign in at study.sagepub.com/mccorkle3e for a Microsoft Word test bank, sample course syllabi with term projects, chapter exercises and activities, and more!
Available with Perusall—an eBook that makes it easier to prepare for class
Perusall is an award-winning eBook platform featuring social annotation tools that allow students and instructors to collaboratively mark up and discuss their SAGE textbook. Backed by research and supported by technological innovations developed at Harvard University, this process of learning through collaborative annotation keeps your students engaged and makes teaching easier and more effective. Learn more.
Password-protected Instructor Resources include the following:
- A Microsoft® Word test bank, is available containing multiple choice, true/false, and essay questions for each chapter. The test bank provides you with a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity for editing any question and/or inserting your own personalized questions to assess students’ progress and understanding.
- Editable, chapter-specific Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides offer you complete flexibility in easily creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- Sample course syllabi with term projects for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for use when creating the syllabi for your courses.
- Lively and stimulating chapter exercises and activities that can be used in class to reinforce active learning. The activities apply to individual or group projects.
- Chapter-specific discussion questions help launch classroom interaction by prompting students to engage with the material and by reinforcing important content.
- A set of all the graphics from the text, including all of the maps, tables, and figures, in PowerPoint, .pdf, and .jpg formats for class presentations.
- Additional Cases that can be used for extra practice outside of the classroom in order to support the skills and techniques taught in class
Sample Mediation Forms assist with the set up of the mediation and help guide the mediator through the process of mediation
I have used this book as a course book for my mediation course for the past three terms and will still use it for the next term. I must say that I am extremely happy with the content of and structure of the book.
The book introduces students to the field of mediation from a theoretical and practical perspective. This is done in clear and simple language. I consider this book very suitable for teaching and introducing undergrads to the field of mediation.
Instructor resources are also very good and helpful. These resources have greatly aided me to teach this class more effectively and easily.
Many students also indicate in their feedback during course evaluation how much they have enjoyed the book.
The only thing I would have loved as part of the package is for the package to include video resources as well such as video links, YouTube videos, online video simulations etc. Overall, this is the best textbook on a general introduction to the field of mediation.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1: Introduction to Mediation
Chapter 3: Essential Skills for Mediators