Managing Today’s News Media
- Samir Husni - University of Mississippi, USA
- Debora Halpern Wenger - University of Mississippi, USA
- Hank Price - Northwestern University Media Management Center
Audience Studies | Business of Journalism/Media Management | Media Economics
The business of journalism is in the midst of massive change. Managing Today’s News Media: Audience First offers practical solutions on how to cope with and adapt to the evolving media landscape. News media experts Samir Husni, Debora Halpern Wenger, and Hank Price introduce a forward-looking framework for understanding why change is occurring and what it means to the business of journalism. Central to this new paradigm is a focus on the audience. The authors introduce “The 4Cs Strategy” to describe how customers, control, choice, and change are all part of a strategy for successful media organizations. Every chapter in the book relates to one or more of these four key principles:
- Customer – Each platform must offer a unique experience to the customer.
- Choice – The audience has more options than ever, and news organizations must work harder to be the preferred choice.
- Control – Sharing power and control with the audience is now a necessary part of running a successful news operation.
- Change – Companies can manage change through adaptation.
Real-world case studies, important theoretical grounding, and a focus on understanding rather than resisting the customer’s desire for choice and control make this an unbeatable resource for students and managers alike who want to succeed in this changed media business landscape.