Fundamentals of Human Resource Management: Functions, Applications, and Skill Development,Second Edition helps students of all majors build the skills they need to recruit, select, train, and develop people. Bestselling authors Robert N. Lussier and John R. Hendon explore the important strategic function HR plays in today's organizations. A wide variety of applications, self-assessments, and experiential exercises keep students engaged and help them see the relevancy of HR as they learn skills they can use in their personal and professional lives. The Second Edition includes 13 new case studies and new coverage of the agile workplace, generational differences, gamification, social media, and diversity and inclusion.
- Five types of application activities in every chapter engage students in active learning while developing their critical thinking skills.
- Four types of skill development activities in every chapter build and improve a variety of skills students can use both in their personal and professional lives.
- A chapter on Organizational Ethics, Sustainability, and Social Responsibility discusses how HR managers can help create ethical, socially responsible organizations.
- Trends and Issues in HRM at the end of every chapter introduce students to cutting-edge thinking and thought-provoking research followed a presentation of the mainstream topics for students to contrast a variety of viewpoints and develop their critical thinking skills.
- Case studies at the end of every chapter encourage students to practice using the skills they have learned
- Covering the vast majority of more than 200 SHRM curriculum guidebook "undergraduate required" items, Fundamentals of Human Resource Management gives the student the ability to successfully manage others in today's work environment.
About the Authors
PART I: The Human Resource Management Environment
Chapter 1. Today's Human Resource Managment Process
Chapter 2. Strategy-Driven Human Resource Management
Chapter 3. The Legal Environment
PART II Staffing
Chapter 4. Workforce Planning: Job Analysis, Design, and Employment Forecasting
Chapter 5. Recruiting Job Candidates
Chapter 6. Selecting New Employees
PART III Developing and Managing
Chapter 7. Training, Learning, Talent Management, and Development
Chapter 8. Performance Management and Appraisal
Chapter 9. Employee Rights and Labor Relations
PART IV Compensating
Chapter 10. Compensation Management
Chapter 11. Employee Incentives and Benefits
PART V Protecting and Expanding Organizational Outreach
Chapter 12. Workplace Safety, Health, and Security
Chapter 13. Ethics, Sustainability, Diversity, and Inclusion
Chapter 14. Global Issues for Human Resource Managers