As traditional newsrooms staffed by journalists and managed by experienced editors become less and less common, there is an even greater need for all types of professional writers to be fluent in the editorial process. Dynamics of Media Editing emphasizes the broad value of editing as both a tool for journalistic management and an essential skill for individual writers of all stripes. Author Vince F. Filak recognizes editing as an essential process for improving the quality of published writing, something that is relevant and essential to investigative journalists, social media interns, celebrity bloggers, and everyone in between. By organizing the book around skills and by platforms, Dynamics of Media Editing shows students how the basic principles of good editing work across disciplines and media platforms.
- The emphasis on transferrable skills and multiple platforms shows students how to use the basic principles of good editing for journalism, PR, advertising, or social media marketing.
- The book takes a broad approach to editing, demonstrating that it’s not just a skill for managers at newspapers, but rather an essential process for improving all aspects of published writing. This addresses a critical course challenge, in that many students don’t see the relevance of editing in their planned careers.
- The audience-centric method emphasizes the need to engage one’s audience in order to be a successful writer.
- “Helpful Hints” boxes provide easy-to-consult lists of dos and don’ts for good writing.
- “Thoughts From a Pro” boxes allow media professionals from a variety of backgrounds to demonstrate the essential function of the editing process in the workplace.
Instructors, sign in at study.sagepub.com/filakediting for test banks, additional exercises, and more!
- Test bank provide a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity to edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding
- Chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer assistance with lecture and review preparation by highlighting essential content, features, and artwork from the book.
- AP Style Exercises test your students' knowledge of AP style and provide opportunities for them to practice writing in this style.
- Editing Assignments enable students to broaden their reporting skills and practice writing.