- Jan Blommaert, Tilburg University
"This very welcome updated second edition will allow Teun van Dijk's very popular Discourse Studies to consolidate its already strong and central position in the area. Featuring chapters written by so many of the leading scholars it will continue to be a stimulating and wide-ranging introduction to the discipline of discourse studies for new generations of students."
- Malcolm Coulthard, University of Birmingham
This book is the largest, most complete, most diverse and only multidisciplinary introduction to the field.
A combined Second Edition of two seminal texts in the field (the 1997 titles Discourse as Social Interaction and Discourse as Structure and Process) this essential handbook:
- Is fully updated from start to finish to cover contemporary debates and research literature.
- Covers everything from grammar, narrative, argumentation, cognition and pragmatics to social, political and critical approaches.
- Adds two new chapters on ideology and identity.
- Puts the student at the centre, offering brand new features such as worked examples, sample analyses and recommended further reading.
Written and edited by world-class scholars in their fields, it is the essential, one-stop companion for any student of discourse analysis and discourse studies.