Assisting Students With Disabilities
A Handbook for School Counselors
- Julie P. Baumberger - Ross School of Medicine, Dominica, West Indies
- Ruth E. Harper - South Dakota State University, USA
School Counselling | Special & Inclusive Education
While school counsellors play a critical role in the planning and distribution of services to students with special needs, they may have very little training in this area. Baumberger and Harper's essential handbook has been updated throughout to help counsellors work confidently and competently with students who may require special services. The specific model they originally developed is even more useful today as counsellors document the ways in which they connect student data with appropriate interventions. The book chapters provide:
• Clear explanations of recent changes shaping the legal context for working with students with disabilities
• Tips to help counsellors identify students eligible for special services
• Suggestions for designing realistic, measurable IEP goals
• A number of case studies that walk readers through effective counselling responses
• Insight into gaining parents' trust, involving families positively in schools, and counselling siblings of students with disabilities
• Strategies for integrating the individual needs of students with disabilities into comprehensive school counselling programs
Every school counsellor feeling the weight of accountability will welcome this guide to measurable, improved service delivery for students with special needs.
"Counselors, parents, special educators, and college transition coordinators will benefit greatly from the wealth of practical information in this book, which gives readers focused methods for addressing how optimal outcomes can be attained in the face of limited time, energy, and resources. Highly recommended."
"An excellent resource for anyone who supports students with disabilities. This complex subject is made practical and the TREAT model provides a great outline for solutions. I recommend this book as a road map to help students make successful transitions from grade to grade and beyond."
Sample Materials & Chapters